by Bernard K. Means, Director of the Virtual Curation Laboratory (VCL)
Today’s animation is a worked bone tool found in 1939 or 1940 by a Work Projects Administration (WPA) crew laboring at Fort Hill, a multi-component Monongahela tradition village site located in Somerset County, Pennsylvania. It is now within the archaeological collections of The State Museum of Pennsylvania (TSMP). This particular object was scanned on December 21. 2011 in the VCL as part of a loan from the TSMP and with funding support from the Department of Defense(DoD)’s Legacy Program. Details on that DoD Legacy Program-funded project (11-334) can be foundhere.