by Bernard K. Means, Director of the Virtual Curation Laboratory (VCL)
Today’s animation is a groundstone discoidal found in 1939 or 1940 by a Work Projects Administration (WPA) crew laboring at Fort Hill, a multi-component Monongahela tradition village site located in Somerset County, Pennsylvania. The flat, raised area on one face represents adhesive from a very early attempt to display this artifact in a public setting. It is now within the archaeological collections of The State Museum of Pennsylvania (TSMP). This particular object was scanned on January 20, 2012 in the VCL as part of a loan from the TSMP and with funding support from the Department of Defense (DoD)’s Legacy Program. Details on that DoD Legacy Program-funded project (11-334) can be found here.