by Bernard K. Means, Director of the Virtual Curation Laboratory (VCL)
Today’s animation is a groundstone wedge that was excavated in 1939 or 1940 as part of work relief archaeology at the Fort Hill site, a Monongahela village in Somerset County, Pennsylvania. It is now within the archaeological collections of The State Museum of Pennsylvania (TSMP). The exact function of this wedge is unclear, but it may have been a woodworking tool. More information on the Work Projects Administration excavations at Fort Hill can be found here.