by Bernard K. Means, Director of the Virtual Curation Laboratory
Today’s animation is a fragment of daub with finger impressions recovered archaeologically at Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest and was scanned in their archaeology laboratory. According to Jenn Ogborne, the Archaeology Laboratory Supervisor at Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest, “The daub is from the Tomahawk quarter farm at Poplar Forest, specifically in the plowzone above a two-room structure defined by postmolds, with a subfloor pit in both rooms. There are two other structures nearby. It was likely occupied about 1790 to 1812 (when Jefferson had the occupants moved to another location).” Jenn also provides these pictures of the daub alongside a 3D printed replica created in the Virtual Curation Laboratory. The replica will be painted to resemble the original.