Note: today’s animation is a guest animation from Lance Greene of Georgia Southern University.
Today’s animation is a Union Army brass coat button recovered from Camp Lawton, a Confederate Prisoner-of-War camp located in Georgia. According to the Camp Lawton website,
Early in the war, buttons were stamped with a letter designating a branch of the service. In this case, the “I” signifies Infantry. Later in the war these designations were removed, and “general service” buttons were produced. Several of these buttons have been recovered from the prisoners’ encampment at Camp Lawton, and probably represent a trade item or form of currency in the camp. With a lack of real currency, buttons, grocery tokens, and other small items became a replacement, within the stockade and for trade with guards. Please click on the link below to see a scanned 3D image of the button.
For more information on Camp Lawton and Georgia Southern University’s work there, visit :
by Bernard K. Means, Director of the Virtual Curation Laboratory
Today’s animation is a Civil War-era eagle button that was scanned at Fairfax County’s Cultural Resource Management and Protection collections repository in the James Lee Community Center, Falls Church, Virginia. This particular object was scanned as part of a Friends of Fairfax Archaeology symposium on the Civil War on March 31. 2012.
Discussing 3D scanning the FOFA event.
Guest post courtesy of Daryl Armour, Archaeologist, Fort Bragg Cultural Resources Management Program
These two buckles were recovered during a cultural resources survey at Monroe’s Crossroads (31Hk249), a civil war battlefield located within Hoke county (now within the reservation), in the 1990s. These artifacts were scanned and rendered by Daryl Armour on May 19th and May 20th, 2014. For additional information on the Fort Bragg Cultural Resources Management Program, follow this link.
Note: today’s animation is our first guest animation here at the Virtual Curation Museum. We celebrate here another form of virtual collaboration.
by Lance Greene, Georgia Southern University
Today’s animation is a tourniquet buckle produced by Julius Tiencken, who created medical equipment for the Union army during the Civil War. It was recovered from Camp Lawton, a Confederate POW camp located near Millen Georgia, occupied in the fall of 1864. The buckle was recovered within the stockade, in an area densely occupied by Union prisoners. It is brass and iron, and fragments of cotton fabric are still attached.
Credits: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Georgia Department of Natural Resources, and Georgia Southern University Department of Sociology and Anthropology.
For more information:
By Ashley Perry, Intern with the Virtual Curation Laboratory
Today’s animation was scanned in the lab on February 2, 2014 by Digital Curation Specialist Lauren Volkers and is of a .58 caliber Minié ball loaned to the Virtual Curation Laboratory as part of a collection of artifacts found at the Bladensburg Battlefield site in Maryland (18PR). This particular artifact is one of a handful of items recovered that likely belongs to the later Civil War component (Fort Lincoln runs along Bladensburg Road and is right next to Prince George’s County, where the town of Bladensburg is located). .58 caliber Minié balls were the required ammunition of the Springfield Model 1861, a rifled musket in widespread use during the latter parts of the Civil War. The Springfield boasted increased accuracy and range over previous models and is widely considered to be one of the most effective firearms of of its type. Over 1,000,000 of these rifles were manufactured during the war, over a fifth of those being produced by the Springfield Armory in Massachusetts. An animation of an archaeologically recovered Springfield rifle lock plate from George Washington’s Ferry Farm can be found here.
The “Springfield” Model 1861 Rifle