by Bernard K. Means, Director of the Virtual Curation Laboratory (VCL)
Today’s animation is a cannel coal pendant recovered archaeologically from the Fort Hill site, a Monongahela village excavated by a Work Projects Administration (WPA) crew in 1939 or 1940 in Somerst County, Pennsylvania, under the direction of Edgar E. Augustine (Means 2002). Archaeologist William C. Johnson (2001:82) suggests that these were badges worn by the Monongahela and that helps identify the Monongahela as the Black Minqua. This artifact is now in the collections of The State Museum of Pennsylvania.
Sticks were placed in postholes to keep track of feature locations during winter excavations at Fort Hill.
Johnson, William C.
2001 The Protohistoric Monongahela and the Case for an Iroquois Connection. In Societies in Eclipse: Archaeology of the Eastern Woodlands Indians, A.D. 1400-1700, edited by David S. Brose, C. Wesley Cowan, and Robert C. Mainfort, Jr., pp. 67-82.
Means, Bernard K.
2002 “….To Reconstruct These Houses of Men Who Lived in a Stone Age:” ModelingVillage Community Organization Using Data from the SomersetCounty Relief Excavations. In Northeast Subsistence-Settlement Change: A.D. 700 – A.D. 1300, edited by John P. Hart and Christina Rieth, pp. 43-71. New York State Museum Bulletin 496. The University of the State of New York, Albany.